Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

SNOW!!

First steps out!

Finally we've gotten enough snow that I deem it worth the time and effort to get the kids bundled up and roll them out into the yard.

So, I put the kids in two shirts, two pants, two socks, boots, hats, gloves, etc. etc. etc. When we were getting ready, Ainsley asked me why she had to wear so much. "Momma knows about dressing warm, baby," I was totally having flashbacks to my own days sent out into the tundra. Our big discovery is that Xander doesn't have boots, so he got to trudge out in his Chuck Taylors.

Xander: Bulldozer
This is Xander's first big snow. I wasn't too sure how he'd respond. I should have known, though. Basically, he just threw himself into the snow and continued to plow through it until I carried him inside.

He slid down the steps, immediately ran to our sloped yard, and slid down it. Who knew?! Our yard is a sledding hill! Of course, at the bottom of the sledding hill is the sidewalk and the street. So, Momma had to do some Xander wrangling at the bottom.

Ainsley, of course, was a bit more hesitant to get into the snow, but she did follow her brother down the hill.


I tried to keep them in front of the house, but Xander kept wanting to run out into the street and die, so I corralled them up the driveway.

RUNNING! Running IN SNOW!!
Xander? Want some snow?!
They got to fiddle about in the driveway for a while...when Ainsley realized that she could THROW SNOW. Once that happened, it was on. She just kept throwing snow at Xander over and over.

Xander didn't mind getting snow in his face...considering that he'd spent the last 10 minutes bulldozing the snow with his face. It was at this point that I started to think 1) Xander needs one of those bank robber masks cause the boy leads with the face, and 2) why am I only wearing one pair of pants. That was just stupid.

Once I saved Xander from the facefuls of snow, Ainsley realized there was snow on the van...and that was unacceptable, so she started cleaning it off. It was at that point that Xander decided to make a break for it.

Going!
Going!

GONE!
Once I got Xander secured and was certain that he wasn't going to try to get hit by a car, Ainsley got to the serious business of snow angel making. I forced her to pose for the picture below...and she forced me to take a picture of her snow angel. We're bossy...Ainsleys and Mommas.


When it was time to come in, Xander threw a right proper fit. I lured Ainsley in with the promise of chicken noodle soup (Toy Story...though she'd have preferred Princess).

Climbing the yard
Ainsley asked to bring some snow inside. I gave her a quick lesson in the elements and a firm "no." I was quite proud that I thought to strip the kids down one layer before getting in the house so there was minimal melted snow puddles. Of course, now, at 1am, I realize that I forgot to bring those clothes in...so they're frozen on the porch. Ah well.

Ultimately, my real goal was achieved...both kids went down for their naps with minimal trouble. After the soup, Xander started to ask for his Beebee. Miss A got into bed much easier than I expected. She didn't sleep (she's tying to pretend that she's not a toddler who naps; we're reminding her that it's better for all of us when we do), but she did rest and read. It's the best I can ask for at this point.





No comments: