Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

SNOW!

We've been getting some lake-effect snow today, so I decided to take the kids out into it to play instead of reading for class.  Lately, I've been prioritizing kids and family over classwork, and I don't feel guilty about it one tiny bit.

At first, Ainsley was super excited to go play in the snow.  She kept asking to go out (I'd promised her we would after I finished some electronic conferences with students).  Then once I got her ready, she refused to go outside unless she brought Seabee, who she promptly forgot about once she started playing in the snow.  We started our snowy adventure with my holding Xander in one hand and the camera in the other.  As Ainsley was pretty young for snow last year, this is her first *real* snow year...and let me tell you: Snow. Is. Awesome.


Ainsley began her dabbling into snow with the requisite tasting of the snow, followed by the putting of the boot into the snow.  These two activities were deemed fun, so she started running around in our tiny front yard.



While she did that, I managed to snap a pic of Xander while I had him in my arms. Xander didn't really care about the snow, but he did enjoy hanging out with Momma.


Ainsley continued her snowy play by running around the tree in our front yard.  We tried to make a snowman, but the snow wasn't too sticky.  I threw a snowball at her.  At first she was just confused.  After I threw a second snowball at her, she said, "Don't hit me."  So, I stopped.  I figure she can learn the joy of snowballs from her daddy because, honestly, I don't like them either!

After a while, Xander got sick of being held, so I brought his bouncy out, bundled him up, and gave him a bottle while we played.  This was acceptable to Ainsley and Xander for a while...until Ainsley's wanderlust kicked in.  At that point, I had to take X inside to Sean.  The problem, however, was getting Ainsley to understand we weren't going in forever.  The cries of "SNOOOOOOW" became loud and frequent.  I had to get them inside quickly so that she wouldn't DIE from lack of snow.  



Once X was safely inside and warm, Ainsely and I ventured back out.  I wanted to get a picture of us together, so I bribed her: "Get your picture with Mommy and we'll run around some more."  It worked.  Though when I tell her to smile, she makes this face...and it's pretty funny.
We spent most of the rest of our time outside running up and down the street.  She would run and laugh and fall and laugh and run and fall and laugh some more.  It was the most awesome time outside ever.  For an extended remix of the previous sentence, check out the video below.















We ended our snowy excursion with snow angels in the driveway.  She didn't really understand what she was doing...and did this weird thing while she laid in the snow which involved her not talking or looking at me.  It reminded me of when the dogs go completely limp when I try to make them do something they don't want to.  After I stood her up, I tried to show her the angel.  She didn't care.  Apparently, two year old girls are a bit too young for the awesomeness that is snow angels.




"I don't like it."
Once the snow angel was done, I realized that Ainsley was getting pretty freaking cold.  She, however, believed that she was now going to live outside in the snow. The only thing that I could do to get her inside was to promise her hot chocolate with marshmallows.  The appeal of marshmallows allowed me to bring her in and take off her snow crusted clothing without tears.  I deem that a victory.

However, once she started drinking her hot cocoa, she rejected it.  Sometimes, I wonder if she's my child at all.  Also, next time I take my kids outside to play all over our block, I'm going to wear pants and not my How the Grinch Stole Christmas fleece pajama bottoms.






No comments: