Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I've Been Inspired! Also, Ainsley Is Literate.

So, Erin Banks Kirkham has this blog...the Wiferly Project and she's been posting a lot about her newly married life. And it's inspired me. So I'm going to post more...I figure even if I'm only diligent for a few weeks, it'll make my grandma happy--cause I know she checks this (Hi Grandma!).

I'm taking this literacy class right now and we're talking about how children acquire literacy and all that good stuff. Of course, it gets me to thinking about my own literacy and how I honestly don't remember learning to read (and I'm going to mix literacy and reading a lot in this blog--literacy scholars, step off)--and not in the "I don't remember much about my childhood" way because I remember a good deal about my childhood. I distinctly recall being in kindergarten and everyone learning to read (cat, dog, boy, etc.) and being IMMENSELY bored because I already knew that stuff. Sean's also a pretty avid reader--he probably reads 2-3 books a month (fatty sci-fi books too..so that's impressive to me anyway). With this in mind, I shouldn't be all too surprised that Ainsley is a reader. See photographic evidence below.



The other day, Ainsley was quiet. I assumed she was doing something awesome, like putting a whole roll of toilet paper down the toilet. Instead, I found her reading to Dora. *squee*

I haven't been a reading Nazi like some of the UberMoms I've met or heard of...I don't make sure I read to her for 20 minutes every night. But I do read to her a bit most days--and I'm sure Sean does too. This morning I was reading for my literacy class when Ainsley came up to me and said, "Whatcha doing there? Reading?" Then later as she played with the foam letters Sean bought her for the bathtub, she meticulously placed each letter in a tile and named the ones she knew. "A" "R" "H" "I" "E" "M" "X" "G" "L" "O" "9" (yeah, there are numbers too) I was stunned. Ainsley knows almost 40 percent of the alphabet--and she just turned two. I have to admit, I had a few preening moments in the bathroom as she found the letters.

Ok, this isn't the normal cute anecdote that I hope to post more regularly, but it's what I've been thinking about today.

In Xander news: his tooth is more prominent. Photos as they become available. Until then, feast your eyes on some Halloween cuteness.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Yay! Love it!

Also, I feel like you need to sing a Chicago song to me now. "You're the meaning in my life. You're the INSPIRATION!"

Karen J. said...

Just love reading about the kids and your family, teaching, and learning life, Jen. It is all so perfect in its own way. Thanks for sharing with me. I feel as if I'm there with you!

~kij

Jenn Stewart said...

@Erin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRfy1yorkec

@Karen: Awww! Thanks lady!